Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Four Years Can Be a Very Long Time


”It is I think the only hope of the world that such people make themselves felt.”
                                                                                                       Vanessa Bell



In a 1936 letter to her son Julian Bell, Vanessa Bell wrote about individuals wanting to do something.....needing to make a contribution in some way..... to the efforts to fight Franco's fascism during the Spanish Civil War.
With Trump, his band of corrupt advisors and extremist appointees, his outrageous and destructive policies and executive orders, four years can indeed be a very long time.  
 What are we to do then in times like these, when our democratic principles, our democracy is under siege? It seems that we must remember, and constantly remind ourselves that we have seen this type of insanity before on the world's stage.  It's a darkness that throughout history rises up, and must be continually fought and defeated. We must organize, mobilize, and whenever and wherever possible speak out and  take direct action.  We must persist and resist......and know that through our collective efforts we can make ourselves felt, we can make a difference.

4 comments :

  1. Think two. It's easier to focus on positive changes that can happen at the mid-point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read you post several times. I think actions, actions like you, your husband, your daughter, and your grandchildren standing up to be counted at the women's march IS your call to action, IS your persistence, IS your resistance. We are each called in different ways; how do we hear those calls? How do we respond by action?

    I find myself focusing on our allies with power. A DeVos confirmation, not by the congress but by a tie breaker vote -- I see allies. The Ninth district court blocking the ban on travel for seven Muslim countries -- I see allies.

    There are so many calls we could respond to. Responding to one that resonates in our soul is a good beginning. I recently listened to Ira Glass's Feb 3rd program (https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/609/it%E2%80%99s-working-out-very-nicely) It breaks my heart. I am reminded while I may not be able to help this group highlighted, I can take a stand. I do not believe American First, forsaking all others. I can act to support those programs in 3rd world countries which I continue to have connection with. Our new president can shout America First but I can choose to take personal responsibility for those who have less.

    On a lighter note, one thing propelling me lately when I feel defeated by the new administration is a tweet I read. It said something like, "I don't think President Trump should be allowed to appoint a Supreme Court Justice in his last year in office." That tweet made me hopeful. So maybe not four years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Families that Resist and Protest together, stay together. YAY Family

    ReplyDelete